Areas of Support
Who do I work with?
I support students seeking to be better learners in history classes as well as in information literacy courses and interdisciplinary subject areas (e.g., AP Seminar and Research).
Five Stars | Super helpful!!
Dr. Bates is extremely helpful and gets you thinking beyond what you need. He’s super supportive and is easy to talk to!
Five Stars | Great job!
My paper was pretty rough, but with the help of Dr. Bates, it was in great condition. Every time we had a peer review, my paper was barely ever commented on because Dr. Bates had prepared me to cover all the points necessary.
Ryan was very prompt and provided meaningful feedback on a history paper assignment.
- Public, private, homeschool, and flexible schooling
- Advanced Placement (AP) [History, Seminar, Research], honors, regular/inclusion levels
College students and adult learners
- History courses (100-200 level)
- Interdisciplinary research, writing, and information literacy courses (undergraduate)
Are you a teacher seeking support for better student learning?
Do you have too much to do and not enough time?
Schedule a free consultation with me to see how I can support your classroom teaching and student learning, including curriculum and assessment development, course management systems, student learning strategies, tutoring, and more!
Together, we will focus on one or more of the following areas to make you the best student you can be.
Critical thinking & problem solving skills
- Critical thinking and analysis
- Historical reasoning
- Transferrable skills
- United States (U.S.) History
- European history
- World history
- History/social studies skills
- Comparative and interdisciplinary studies
Organization & time management
- Balancing school, extra-curricular, and out-of-school activities
- Managing assignments and tasks–short and long-term
- Structure and use of time
Reading & note taking
- Types & ways of reading
- Types & ways of note taking
- Note taking styles and methods
- Short and long-term studying
- Styles, tips, and tools for studying
- Multiple choice
- Written response
- U.S. History
- European History
- World History
SAT II Subject Test
- U.S. History
- World History
- Navigating library resources
- Navigating the Internet
- Finding and analyzing sources
- Determining credibility, relevance, and validity
- Informal writing
- Formal writing: essays and research papers
- Outlining/organization, drafting, editing and revising
- Style formatting (APA, MLA, etc.)
Flexible online synchronous and asynchronous options
Student Tutoring & Academic Coaching
On-demand tutoring is the perfect option for students on the go with hectic schedules.
How does it work? The student emails me with what they are working on, and I respond with guided feedback and support.
- For quick questions and help, written communication support is provided.
- For a more in-depth session, a recorded video lesson and written communication support are provided. This is ideal for more challenging topics, modeling skills, writing review
What do students love about this option? They can refer back to the session anytime, any place.
Live Video Chat
Sometimes talking to someone in real time is the better way to go. Especially for those tricky topics, or when you are not sure what to do and you need someone to guide you through to the other side.
This option is perfect for Q&A, test review, model a writing technique, and for anything else where you need that extra level of guidance and support.
Student’s time is precious. There seems to be not enough of it and way too much to do. Let alone, you are busy and have your own schedule. It is challenging to find a specific time each week to schedule something outside of school hours, even something as important as improving academic success.
Also, student’s learning needs vary. Some days they need extended help on how to write a history essay. Other days, they just need to ask a quick question. That question may pop up on the bus ride, in the middle of practice, or watching the latest Netflix series. How do you schedule for that?
Let’s make student tutoring and academic coaching work for the student.
How we are unique?
Tutoring and coaching sessions come in packages of minutes. You schedule what you need when you need it. If it is something that does not need face-to-face time, the session occurs over email. When extra guidance is needed, schedule a live video chat that works with the student’s schedule.
The more minutes purchased, bigger the savings!
60 Minutes | $60
90 Minutes | $80
120 Minutes | $100
180 Minutes | $140
Ready to start the path to being a better student? Click the button below and a pre-populated email will open up in your email program. All you need to do is fill in your information, tell me which package you want and a brief description of your goals; then, click send! You will receive a response with next steps to purchase and set up your package.
Not sure if this style of tutoring is right for your student? Let’s chat and see what we can do for you! Click on the “Schedule” button below, and a pre-populated email will open up in your email program. All you need to do is fill in your information and a brief description of what you are looking for; then, click send! Within a few hours, you will receive a response to schedule your free consultation. It’s easy as that!